Today we are speaking with Essie! She is a unicorn of the internet, kind, talented, charming and witty. Essie is the creator of the Heart Journal and that is exactly what she does. She pours her heart right onto her art journal pages and they are beautiful, inspiring and raw. We get her to share all her secrets for heartfelt creating in today’s episode plus tons of great tips and prompts for you to try right away!
Episode Takeaways and Artist Actions
- How to express your emotions through color, shape and lines
- Ideas for how to make art even when you are busy or sick
- How to share your art, even when it’s really personal
- Thoughts on feeling BIG emotions vs small ones
- Start at the very basic levels of art to reset your creativity
- How to use self care in art
- Channeling your emotions into your art
- Creating a safe space in your art journal to express what you need to
- Using self care check in’s to process and create
- Artist Action: Make your own Emotion Color Code Chart
- Artist Action: Draw your emotions
- Artist Action: Take an idea and evolve it over and over and over again, then create with it
- Artist Action: Play the Squiggle Game!
- Artist Action: Start with the primary colors and create all the other colors
- Artist Action: Write yourself a kind mantra
Please note that some of these are affiliate links. As always, we’d never recommend anything we (or the artists) don’t truly love.
- The Heart Journal
- Get Messy Art Journal
- Vanessa’s art journal
- Katie’s art journal
- Lap desk / Stable Table (Ikea BYLLAN)
- Musician Luka Bloom
Essie is a writer, artist, and mama. She loves her partner Sara-Jane, their son Arty, and the impromptu living room dance parties they regularly stage. Essie believes in the power of sharing, whether it’s ideas, art, stories, or cake.
Stay up to date with new episodes and receive access to all presents from the artists.