Depth is all about the process. Today we hear from Cait and Vanessa who share their hearts and minds with such truth and vulnerability in their art journal pages. They will share with us their thoughts and processes on when paint on a page becomes art and practical tips for digger deeper in your art. Listen to today’s episode to learn how they overcome feelings of unresolved pages, lack of interest and believing you are good enough.
Episode Takeaways and Artist Actions
- Learn about Cait and Vanessa’s creative stories
- How to go deep in your art when you “don’t have time”
- How to believe that your art is good enough
- Accepting the uncontrollable force in your journal
- Literal vs. deconstructed meaning
- Artist Action: Start a “nothing” book
- Artist Action: open yourself up to depth
- Artist Action: Use scribbles to link elements together and to lower barriers to starting
- Artist Action: Use whatever is in your head to get started on a page
- Artist Action: Use your art journal as a diary
- Artist Action: Use layers to cover up more personal feelings in your work
- Artist Action: Tell yourself ‘My work is finished’
- Artist Action: Just take one step
- Artist Action: Find ways to literally translate your emotion to allow your senses and body to guide you (ex. rip paper for angry, etc)
Resources and Tools
Please note that some of these are affiliate links. As always, we’d never recommend anything we (or the artists) don’t truly love.
- Neutrals & Neons in 21 Secrets
- Totems: Find and integrate your personal symbols into your art journal
Cait Sherwood is a mixed media artist who works into books and journals. She is focused on understanding the artistic process. She lives on a farm in Brookeville, Maryland.
Vanessa is an archaeologist and an artist. Both sides of her personality combine and express themselves through art journaling. She believes in the power of self-expression and wants to share what she has learned through her art practice.
Stay up to date
Stay up to date with new episodes and receive access to all presents from the artists.