In this episode Caylee interviews Carson, Paige and Emma who are some of the most popular and talented scrapbookers on social media. They all have different styles and approaches to scrapbooking, but all put pictures to paper for the same reason: to document their lives. These ladies share their secrets to creating beautiful layouts, get honest about scrapbooking for social media and as a job and spill the beans about how long it really takes Paige to create those intricate pages! We hope you enjoy learning more about scrapbooking from these talented makers and be sure to connect with them on Instagram and their blogs to see more of their work.
Episode Takeaways and Artist Actions
- Tips for starting with the photos vs. starting with the embellishments
- How long it really takes to make a layout (Paige takes 12 hours!)
- Real talk about reasons why they scrapbook
- Being comfortable to break the rules of scrapbooking
- How to overcome guilt around not journaling in your pages
- How to make time to create when you have work and children
- How being paid to scrapbook affects what you make
- The pros and cons of using kit clubs
- Favourite tools the guests use to scrapbook with
- Paige’s favourite things to do with her Cameo
- Using popular trends vs having your pages all look the same
- Dealing with the anxiety of putting a project out into the world
- Tips for photographing spreads
- How to find your style immediately
- How your scrapbook style can be affect your home decor style and vice versa
- What these scrappers love least about scrapbooking
- Artist Action: tips for taking photos of scrapbook photos
- natural light
- foam boards
- flat lays
- Artist Action: to be more objective about a piece you’re working on, take a photo and see it objectively through the image
- Artist Action: Try scraplifting
- Artist Action: Photoshop Elements tip: remove a colour cast to remove the blue or overly orange when you’re not taking the photo in optimal conditions
- Artist Action: PSE tip: level adjustment, bump to far right to add brightness
- Artist Action: Photoshop or A Color Story tip: changing curves to get the colours right (especially for white colours)
- Tips for new scrapbooker:
- You don’t need all the supplies! (even though it’s hard!)
- Get involved with a Facebook group, IG, hashtag, forums, design team galleries
- Have fun with it
Resources and Tools
Please note that some of these are affiliate links. As always, we’d never recommend anything we (or the artists) don’t truly love.
- Pink Paislee x Paige Evans – Take Me Away
- Pink Paislee x Paige Evans – Fancy Free
- Paige’s scrapbook classes at BPC
- Carson’s scrapbook classes at BPC (Craft Room Rehab)
- Photoshop: Actions by A Beautiful Mess
Carson is an avid papercrafter who scrapbooks, creates cards and tries her best to keep up with Project Life. When she isn’t stressing over the lighting in her Instagram pictures you can find her designing for Studio Calico and American Crafts while ordering take out for dinner, again.
Emma is kinda quiet until she gets comfortable with people – then she’s opinionated, loud, bossy and full of sarcasm. On the flip side though, she also likes to think she’s kind, loving and above all, loyal. She will stick through all the shit, no matter what.
Paige is a mother to Fox and Jane and wife to Chris by day and a crafter by night! She loves to scrapbook, take pictures, and loves to live in color. She currently resides in Germany and travels as much as often as she can with her family.
Stay up to date with new episodes and receive access to all presents from the artists.