In this episode Caylee interviews Juli, Marta and Tracy about using Pocket Pages to document your life. This episode is a breath of fresh air in the scrapbooking world as these ladies get honest about taking photos just for scrapbooking, breaking the rules and doing what you want when it comes to recording your own life. Listen today to learn our guests’ best tips for taking selfies, saving bad photos, matching cards to photos, the best supplies to use and why you should document your life – no matter what life stage you’re in. Be sure to connect with these ladies on Instagram to see more of their gorgeous work.
Episode Takeaways and Artist Actions
- What Juli, Marta, and Tracy’s favourite bits about pocket documenting are
- How to deal with the dauntingness of beginning and choosing a size for your pages
- How pocket documenting has changed since it’s inception
- Learn our guests favourite page sizes
- How pocket documenting changes your approach to photography
- Preserving memories through video
- The differences between photos that look good and that mean something in an album
- The number one tip for bad photos
- How to match cards to your photos
- Colour matching with the little details
- How Marta decides what journaling cards to create
- Tips for documenting when you don’t like taking photos of yourself
- The importance of documenting yourself
- Learn tips for taking Non-traditional self portraits
- Taking your own photo vs. having someone else take the photo
- About people that “don’t get it”
- Artist Action: Print your photos at home to make documenting so much easier
- Artist Action: Use vellum to make bad photos look great
- Artist Action: Change your page sizes to keep it fun and interesting
- Artist Action: Have a lot of photos printed at once and work on it in an afternoon.
- Artist Action: Prevent overwhelm by limiting your supplies
- Tips for newbies:
- make it look like yours / don’t restrict yourself
- don’t compare – rather find things you like and emulate
- don’t try to have everything documented because you never will
- Essential supplies
- Pic Tap Go / Photoshop
- wood veneer
- date stamp
Our first sponsor!
This episode of How She Creates is sponsored by Get Messy Art Journal Community.
Get Messy is an art journal membership community that shares tutorials, inspiration, prompts, interviews and challenges each week. Join Get Messy before 2017 as an annual member to join at the lowest rate Get Messy will ever be at again. Get Messy has an amazing community of artists who are waiting to welcome and support you in your art journey.
Resources and Tools
Please note that some of these are affiliate links. As always, we’d never recommend anything we (or the artists) don’t truly love.
- Marta’s journaling cards shop – Martu Alterada
- Marta’s fave album: WRMK 6×12″
- Tracy’s fave albums: Teresa Collins 6×12″ gold album, WRMK 12×12″, old four ring Studio Calico 6×8″ albums
Juli has been sitting at her desk playing with paper for the past 4 years. When not scrapbooking, she’s working full time or editing videos for her YouTube channel. Her favorite season is summer and she’s a self proclaimed professional binge watcher.
Marta is a passionate maker. She is in love with Project Life but she also enjoys painting, drawing, designing and writing. She lives by her own in a tiny flat in Barcelona and when she is not creating you can find her reading sci-fi novels or spending time with her friends and family… or trying out something new!
Tracy is a twenty-something single gal who lives in Vancouver, BC with her rescue-pup, Sophie. She enjoys drinking too much coffee, listening to music too loudly, and staying in on Friday nights. Her favourite places to travel to are New York City and Disneyland.
Stay up to date with new episodes and receive access to all presents from the artists.