Today Caylee is interviewing Kate Volyanskaya and Roxanne Coble about our most favorite topic in the world, art journaling! These incredibly talented ladies share all about their creative stories, the best supplies to use, how to make time to make and how to get started. Art journaling is an amazing creative outlet that literally anyone can do and we hope that you will take paint to paper, scissors to magazines and glue to everything and create pages with us today.
Episode Takeaways and Artist Actions
- Kate and Roxanne’s creative stories
- What art journaling is
- Using someone else’s words in your art journal
- Why the artists choose to art journal
- Deciding when a page is done
- Routined creating vs. spontaneous
- Morning vs. evening creators
- How long a piece takes
- What to do when you’re not feeling it
- Having a lot inside, needing the art to come out and riding the wave
- Dealing with criticism
- Using altered books and handmade journals
- Favourite things to art with
- Not getting attached to layers and burying the art
- Why Roxanne makes layers even though they don’t show up completely
- Tips for noobs
- just sit down and get to work
- go outside, find a leaf or flower, cover with paint and you’ve started the page
Resources and Tools
Kate is easy going, fun loving, mallow creature. Very much into health and self care. Can’t help watching any zombie show while cooking lentils.
Roxanne Coble is a mixed media artist, illustrator, and maker of things. Her work has been featured on the cover of Art Journal Magazine and more recently as a guest artist on Make It Artsy. Currently, Roxanne is working as an artist and freelance art educator in Southern California.
Stay up to date
Stay up to date with new episodes and receive access to all presents from the artists.